FAQ Selling a Home

Selling a home can feel overwhelming! But it does not have to be stressful if you have the right people to work with to guide you through the process.  The first question everyone has on their minds:

What is my house worth? What can I sell my home for?

In order to determine this, I first visit your home for a guided tour of the bells and whistles, the updates and upgrades and find out about your goals in selling.  Armed with this information I prepare a through Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) and a personalized Marketing Plan for your home.  The CMA takes a look at homes of similar style, size, location and condition that have sold within a recent time frame.  This, along with knowledge of the current market conditions, help us determine at what price to list your home to maximize sale price with minimal time on market.

How do I stage my home to sell fast and for maximum sales price?

I can help you with staging tips and strategies for making your home shine!

Number one tip: Declutter and then declutter some more!  You are moving, so why not pack up a bit?  You now need to look at your home through a buyer's eyes.  It should be dressed to sell.  You may love your KISS collectibles, but don't distract a buyer's eye with them. You want them to notice your fabulous windows!

Click here to see top staging tips: http://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/design-101/30-cant-miss-home-staging-tips

How long will it take to list my house?

Not long! It is really up to the seller. What takes the most time is getting the home ready for sale.  Once we sign a listing agreement, we can get started on pictures and getting all pertinent information on MLS.  

What happens when I get an offer on my home?

When an offer comes in we review everything about it, not just the offer price.  It is important to consider the terms of the offer, any contingencies involved ie does the buyer have to close on their home to purchase yours, are they a "strong" buyer, are the time frames set forth good for you? Then if necessary, we counter offer and negotiate for a successful outcome.

What happens when I accept an offer on my home?

This topic needs its own page!

The Full Real Estate Transaction Process

What stays with my house when I sell?

The general rule of thumb is to pretend you can take your home and shake it upside down.  What doesn't fall out, stays! EXCEPT the refrigerator, the washer and dryer unless you intend to leave them behind.  These can be negotiated in an offer.

If grandma's chandelier is hanging over your dining room table and you can't bear to leave it, remove it and replace it with something else before buyers come through and fall in love with it!

If you REALLY want to take something like your antique door knocker, you can write it in as an "exclusion". 

Curtain rods- stay.  Custom built in blinds?  They stay.  Mounted TV? Goes with you but write it in to your listing just in case!

How much will I net when I sell my home?

This of course depends largely on what you presently owe, but I can help you roughly determine this by factoring in payoffs, commissions, taxes, attorney expenses etc.

Who pays closing costs?

It is the buyer no matter how you slice it.  It is sort of an issue of semantics.  A buyer can write an offer with this contingency, for example: "Subject to seller contribution of up to $5000 toward buyer pre-paids, insurance and closing costs".  Let's say the home was on the market for $350,000 and in a bidding war, the buyer offers $355,000.  The offer is for practical purposes $350,000: $355,000-$5000 closing costs= $350,000 gross to seller.  The 5k comes off the seller's "top" but they are getting asking price.  The buyer is basically rolling those 5k closing costs into the mortgage.  

For experienced guidance, Call Kathy Schelleng at 774-454-0358

Search FAQ Selling a Home Homes for Sale

New Listings

Featured picture for the property 72314409
$225,000
Plymouth, MA
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Rita Gallant & Julie Murphy
Plymouth Village, Inc.
Baystate
Featured picture for the property 72314238
$385,000
Plymouth, MA
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Marietta Tsinzo
William Raveis R.E. & Home Services
Baystate
Featured picture for the property 72314116
$849,000
Plymouth, MA
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Harry Helm
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Plymouth
Baystate
Featured picture for the property 72314003
$289,000
Plymouth, MA
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Patrick O'Donnell
Carrington Real Estate Services, LLC
Baystate
Featured picture for the property 72313976
$639,900
Plymouth, MA
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Leon Lopes
RE/MAX Spectrum
Baystate
©2018, MLS Property Information Network, Inc. All rights reserved.
The property listing data and information set forth herein were provided to MLS Property Information Network, Inc. from third party sources, including sellers, lessors and public records, and were compiled by MLS Property Information Network, Inc. The property listing data and information are for the personal, non commercial use of consumers having a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing listed properties of the type displayed to them and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties which such consumers may have a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing. MLS Property Information Network, Inc. and its subscribers disclaim any and all representations and warranties as to the accuracy of the property listing data and information set forth herein.